Sunday, March 11, 2012

Scratch that!

Joe and I have been wracking our brains trying to use some of our tax return to make our house, our home. We have lived here for three and a half years and, other than painting the walls and staining some cabinets, have done nothing to make us feel as though this is really our house. We have had tons of amazing ideas! None of them have panned out: dormers, using attic space, expanding/adding rooms, etc. My dad has been an amazing help to us. He has come to our house several times to help us "dreamers" come back to earth.
Today he came for a visit to discuss our most recent thoughts. They all sounded good and looked good on paper, but each one was crossed off the list due to some, unforeseen issue. This is why I'm so glad I have my dad (who has his own remodel/repair business). He was able to see things that we would have never noticed. He probably saved us from having our roof collapse on us, or from falling through the floorboards. We now have a new plan. It's not what I was hoping for, or anything that I expected, but it is a good one that will help Joe and I make this house ours, as well as give us some much needed space.
I had to learn a hard lesson today about over-thinking and expectations. We don't always get what we want (man that sounds familiar!) and sometimes that's for the best. A couple of days ago, I thought that we were living in our forever home, and we might be, but it just won't be what we planned. We will do everything we can to make this house an amazing home for our son, with or without the dream/Martha Stuart/pinterest look.

No comments:

Post a Comment