Friday, May 4, 2012

Imperfection and Insecurity

Why is that we put so much pressure on ourselves to make others think we have it all together? I'm not perfect, my life isn't perfect, my body isn't perfect, my relationship with my husband isn't perfect, my son isn't the perfect child, I'm not the best teacher, etc. I will willingly admit this to anyone and everyone. I love the saying:

 "Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life." David M. Burns

I look at being imperfect as a right and privileged. I know that we say this to kids all the time, and that most of adults think it's crap, but I really do appreciate that we are all unique. I have strengths that others don't and they have abilities in areas that I lack. Associating with people who possess things that we wish to have (emotionally, educationally, personally-not monetarily or possessions), is how we learn and grow into the people we want to be. 
I have learned so much from the people around me, that I wouldn't be who I am without them! My husband has taught me to be open, laid-back, and responsible. My parents have taught me to be independent, respectful, and work hard for what I want in life. My students teach me on a daily basis, but their lessons include patience, laughter is a daily requirement, listen when spoken to, etc. My son has taught me that there are things in life worth far more than a nice car and the clothes in my closet, that you can love something far more than you ever thought was possible, and that life is all about the small things.
It makes me so sad to see/hear all of the people who think that the only way to be happy with themselves is to pretend that their lives are perfect, and to put others down for the things that they lack. No one has it all, no one ever will, so stop pretending and be proud of what you have accomplished rather than what you have. 
We are to blame for the feelings of unhappiness that plagues our lives. When we are critical of others it not only causes hurt feelings, anxiety, and stress, but it also causes the insecurities that riddles our society. If we just gave everyone some slack and respected their right to be different, look different, have different plans in life, believe different things, and have different goals, we would all feel better about ourselves!

"The reason that we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." -Steve Furtick

No comments:

Post a Comment