Sunday, April 1, 2012

DIY Roman Curtains

I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought it was a wonderful idea for our kitchen window. If you would like to try it, you can go to this website: objectivehome.blogspot.com The blog that it will take you to gives a step-by-step process to making them yourself!

I followed all of her steps except for a few variations. Here is what I did differently:
- I used a set of sheets found at Target instead of a table cloth or piece of fabric
- instead of hem tape and fabric glue, I used craft glue and double-sided craft tape (which I ironed just as she suggests) found at the dollar tree
- I did let them sit  and dry over night, when I tried to put them up after an hour or two the glue was not dry and wasn't holding together well

Even though she says that her version only cost $4.50, I think that she got very lucky with a great deal on the table cloth and already having some of the supplies. I had to purchase everything and had a difficult time finding fabric that I liked and would go with our kitchen decor.

Doing the project my way cost me:
$12.74 for the sheets
$4.79 for both sets of blinds
$1.00 each for the tape, glue, foam brush
With a total of $19.53

The curtains turned out wonderfully and were quick and very easy to make. Using Dollar Tree materials was a risky idea, but so far, so good!

3 comments: