Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day Times Two

I always loved the first day of school. I loved shopping for school clothes/supplies. I loved setting out all of my new things, organizing my backpack, binder, and my first week's worth of outfits. Every year, it felt like a new, fresh start. A chance to start over, make new friends, make a new, first impression, reinvent myself. When I became a teacher, the first day feeling still remained. It was a bit different, but it was still there. I still pick out my clothes for the first week or two, I go school supply shopping (this time for my students), and I get that renewed and fresh start feeling every year.

This year, it felt even more familiar, even more like when I was a kid preparing for the third grade. Today was not only the first day of school with my new set of students, but it was also Liam's first day of preschool. Last night, as I helped him pick out his clothes, pack his backpack, and discussed what our morning would be like; I saw the excitement in his face, heard the nerves in his voice, and felt the happy anxiety that I felt in my school days.

This morning I think I was more anxious than he was. I kept pacing, running around frazzled, and couldn't help but feel as though we were going to run out of time. Figuring out how to get all of us ready, drop Liam off at preschool, Nolan at daycare, and get myself to work, seemed almost impossible. Thankfully, Joe stayed home today to drop Liam off with me, and to help with the transition. I don't know how I would have done it without him!

When we finally made it to the preschool, I felt butterflies in my stomach. Liam went right into his room, introduced himself to his teacher, said a quick, "Hello!" to all of his peers, and then began exploring the classroom. When it was time for Joe and I to go, Liam was less than interested in us. He said goodbye, gave us hugs and kisses, and was on his way to a new basket of blocks or cars. I, however, was on the verge of tears.

After the emotional roller coaster that was preschool drop off, I still had to maneuver dropping off Nolan, getting to work, preparing for students, and teaching three classes of kiddos for the first time. After an amazing day meeting my new students, I was more than a little excited to pick Liam up and hear about his day. He and his teacher, had nothing but wonderful things to say about his day. He has not stopped talking about all of the new things he did, the friends that he met, the teachers that taught him new things, and the fun he had on the playground.

I think it's safe to say, that Liam and I have both transitioned into our new educational setting quite well.

Excited for his first day of preschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment