Wednesday, May 22, 2013

First 5K Today, First 10K in a Week

Sunday was my first official race. I participated in the first of the seasonal Portland $5 5Ks. It was held at Fernhill Park in NW, and it was amazing! The park was beautiful, there were lots of fun things for the kiddos to do, there was a 1K run for little ones (which Liam participated in), and the run circled the park and required three laps.

Although I was a bit surprised that the run was not paved, I loved every second of it! Trail running is so much more difficult than running on a paved sidewalk, but it also offered some wonderful scenery and a bit more of a challenge. I'm glad that I didn't plan to take Liam in the jogger this time, it would have been a bit of a rough ride.

Speaking of Liam, he did a great job on his first run! He didn't finish the race, but he sure gave it his all, and he was all smiles. I'm so proud of my little man. I will check into the remainder of the $5 5Ks to see which will be run on a paved path, and Liam will join me on those. It was so nice to have the support of my boys today. They positioned themselves in a way that they would see me, wave, and cheer each time I finished a lap, and they were waiting for me at the finish line.

I'm proud of myself for sticking with running as long as I have, and for being an active, healthy role model for my boys. I'm also proud that I ran my first race with a time of 28 minutes flat (way better than I expected)! Next Sunday is my big 10K. I'm a bit nervous for it, as it is twice as long as Sunday's race. However, I have run practice 10Ks several times, this race is mostly paved (if not completely), and once again, my boys will be there cheering me on. I know I can do it!

Being a runner is awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment