Sunday, February 4, 2018

13 Days

The last week and a half was a whirlwind of sleepless nights and busy days. Jet lag is a real beast when coming home and we are just now getting back to our usual sleep schedules. Just now, twelve days later. We are finally settling back into our work and school schedules too. It took me last weekend to grade all of the assignments that I had missed and sort out a plan moving forward. Liam is just starting to get back into the groove of school and the expectations that he has while there. Nolan is only fighting preschool on a minimal level. Thank goodness. We are finally settled.

We came home from Korea with high hopes of a quick return to get out daughter. We hoped to be back sometime in February, but also prepared our hearts for March. 

When Joe called me at work on Thursday, I expected some questions about our taxes. He hardly ever calls me at work. Like never. So I should have known something big was to be discussed, but I didn't. Finally, after making sure I didn't have students and I had lots of time talk, he told me the shocking news. 

Just one week and one day after returning home, the judge had decided on our custody day and our agency had scheduled our visa interview. I would be heading back to Korea in just two weeks! 

It took, at least, a good 24 hours to process this amazing news. Neither of us expected such a quick turn around. We hoped for it, but didn't expect it. The timing was so very odd in that, I had my first moments of feeling anxious about news just the night before. I had been calm and patient and content for the first week home and for the very first time since returning home, I felt the slightest bit of impatience. 

Thursday was just for processing and communicating the news to family. Friday, we booked our hotel and flights. Yesterday, we celebrated Maylee's arrival with an adoption shower. In just 13 short days, I will take that long trip back to Korea to bring Maylee home. 

We have waited 16 months for this. We have planned for it and daydreamed about it and now it is here. The first 14 months of this process could be categorized as "long waits" or "snail's pace". Since December 28th, the day we learned of our court date, everything has been on hyper-speed. It has been just over five weeks since that day, and here we are- having already planned and gone on our first two-week trip, met our daughter, stood before the judge, traveled home, finally adjusted back to normal life, received our custody call, booked all travel arrangements, and now are preparing for our final trip and Miss May's arrival. Bonkers, this is just bonkers.

This is going to sound silly, but I had a massive panic attack yesterday morning, when I realized that we have no underwear to take for Maylee. Of course, I have more than enough time to get some and of course there is underwear in Korea, so my panic attack was totally unwarranted, but it happened nonetheless. The next thirteen days will speed by, whether I'm ready or not. Thirteen days to be a family of four. Thirteen days to repack suitcases (there is still one that has not been unpacked, so there's that). Thirteen days to prepare my heart for the transition ahead and moments of shear exhaustion that both Maylee and I will feel. Thirteen days to brainstorm how to get through that dreaded plane ride home. Thirteen days.

No comments:

Post a Comment