Tuesday, June 11, 2013

An Unexpected Victory

When I got off work today, I was sad and excited all at once. Today is my last day of teaching this year's group of 6th graders, and it's always a bittersweet milestone. As I walked to my car, feeling a bit emotionally confused, my phone signaled that I had a voicemail. I got in my car, turned it on, and listened to the message. It was left by a women who helps to facilitate the Portland Park and Recreation $5 5Ks that I have been participating in. She began by saying, "I have some exciting news for you!"

My first thought, "They are taking me off the waitlist for the next run, and I finally have a secure spot." That would have been great news, but what she had to tell me was even better! She continued by saying that a women who had crossed the finish line before me, had accidentally finished after only two laps around the park. She then went on to explain, that this was great for me because this woman had been named the 3rd place runner in the women's division. Her mistake meant that I was actually the 3rd place runner in the women's division!!!

My first award for running!
She left me her contact information and told me to give her a call. When I got home, I called her back, at which point she informed me that I not only earned the 3rd place title, but that she had a medal to send me! I'm still a bit in shock over the whole thing. I started this running journey less than 3 months ago, as a slow, sporadic runner at best. I would have never thought I would come in 3rd place in a race!

It's funny! I didn't even stay for the award ceremony, never have, the thought never even crossed my mind! Now, I know I should. Maybe there will be more medals in my future; maybe I should consider myself a competitor in the races that I run. Man. I thought I was addicted to running before, now my competitive nature has been awakened. Runners beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment