Friday, July 13, 2012

Who to tell?

Written 5/29/12:

One of the hardest decisions to make when you find out your going to have a baby, is who to tell and when to tell them. My husband and I have very different opinions on this question. He, being someone who thinks quite logically and puts a great deal of thought (and an hour of pondering) into which light bulb to choose, strongly believes that we should wait to tell anyone until we get through the "dreaded" first trimester. He has some pretty sound reasons for this. Well one, sound reason to be more precise: if anything happens and it doesn't work out, he doesn't want to explain it over and over again.
I on the other hand, thought of this exact situation as a reason to tell those who are closest to us. I know that if something were to happen to this pregnancy, I would want to talk to my mom, sisters, and closest friends. I would want their support through what I'm sure would be, the hardest thing I would ever have to go through.
But how to decide who "wins"? This is such a difficult decision either way. I too can see where my hubby is coming from. I wouldn't want to have to explain a miscarriage to my co-workers or have awkward moments at the next family gathering. He could also see my side of the coin as well. Even with these main points in mind, there is always the excitement of the situation. It took almost all of my willpower to not shout it from the rough tops the second I saw the little pink plus sign.
After much discussion, we decided to meet somewhere in the middle. We agreed to tell close family and a select few friends early on, I plan to tell a couple of my co-workers right before school ends, and the rest of our family and friends once we reached twelve weeks. This way we have our life-line and support, but also protected ourselves from any possible complications.
This worked very well for us when I was pregnant with Liam, but it didn't come without stress. When you choose to tell a select few a very exciting secret, you always worry that the news will leak. Social media can add a little something extra to this. All it takes is one little slip-up and the whole world knows! Once again, we got very lucky last time and this didn't happen in our situation. Telling the people in your life that you are expecting is a personal decision that has to serve your purpose. It wasn't easy to choose a path, but it was the right one for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment