Friday, January 13, 2012

Getting Things Because I Lack Hair

A couple of years ago I was driving my sisters home, and I'll admit, I was driving well above the speed limit. Of course, I was pulled over. I was fairly nervous considering this was only the second time I had been pulled over. When the cop came to the window he asked me the usual questions "Do you know why I pulled you over?", "Do you know how fast YOU were going?", etc. I answered truthfully and told him that I absolutely knew why, and that yes, I knew how fast I was going. He took my license and registration and went back to his car.
As I waited, completely embarrassed to have my little sister see this, I knew that a ticket would be coming with him. When he returned to my car, he handed me my information and told me "Well, since you were honest with me, I'll let you go with a warning." It wasn't until this morning that it dawned on me how many times things like this have happened to me. Going to a restaurant where they give us something for free, at a club where a man randomly gave me a rose, on vacation when a complete stranger handed me a souvenir, people on the cruise ship secretly sprinkling me with holy water, and the day when our new neighbor mowed our lawn for no reason (they could have just been tired of seeing it get taller and taller). What is it with people? Oh wait! I have "cancer" right? I guess instead of a ticket, having to pay for my dinner and my souvenirs, I get to get away with everything! Would it be horrible of me to use it?
Yes, I know it would be. I don't have cancer and I'm not going through anything remotely like what people with cancer deal with, but am I going to randomly say "I don't have cancer." when a complete stranger assumes and does something nice for me based on that assumption. Yes, if I know that is what they are thinking. But I will not tell a police officer "I don't have cancer." without a reason when he tries to hand me a warning. Not because I want to take advantage, but because I think, if they assume I have cancer, but refuse to ask me, I should just assume that they know its alopecia and are just trying to be friendly.
Moral of the story: Ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment