Monday, November 29, 2010

Some Anxiety is Normal. Right?

I have always been a bit of a fraidy cat, but since having Liam it has gone to a new (crazy) level. I worry all the time. Mainly about my family and friend's safetly. I think everyone has these fears, but mine have become a bit irrational/intense. I believe that it may be turning into anxiety. Before having Liam, I had nights (usually after watching a crime drama of some sort) where I listened to every little sound and found it hard to fall asleep. In the past 6 months or so, this has turned into a nightly thing and it has begun to interfer with my sleep on a daily basis. Not only is it happening more often, but the worries have started to be so intense that I lay in bed for hours imagining all of the horrible things that could happen.
There are two major fears that have become paralyzing: 1- fear for Liam. Health and well-being. I think about what I would do if- his health were not good, if there were an earthquake, car accident, or someone were to break into or home. This brings me to my second major fear: 2- someone breaking into my home and hurting me, my husband, Liam and/or my pets. This is a major reason why Liam is still sleeping in our room, I feel that I need to be there to protect him if anyone were to come into our home.
I live in a small, relatively safe town, just a couple of blocks for the police station. I have never had anything like that happen to me or anyone that I know, so I have no idea where these fears have come from, I just know that they are getting a bit out of hand. I know that it is completely normal to feel fear and anxiety after having a baby. That our hormones are off for quite a while. But, I wonder how much of these fears are linked to being a new, protective mommy and how much of them are just me. Either way, I know I need to do something about this now that it has started to effect my daily life. If any one has advice, I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment