Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Three Valentines

The past few years have been growing years for me and my family. This is true both literally and figuratively. We have grown in size as well as individuals. Having children helped me see what is truly important in life, and by association, what is not. I know it’s a bit late to discuss New Year’s resolutions, but until recently, I didn’t think I had any. Since Nolan was born and our family became complete, a couple of goals for the next year have surfaced.
Goal #1: Take time to really be with my babies. Not just share a space, but really put all of my attention on them while savoring every moment and milestone. It has become far too apparent in the past few weeks that these moments and milestones are flying by. My last baby is already four weeks old, a whole chapter of my life is over. I’m learning to be excited for the ones that come next and all of the wonderful things that await me and my family.
Goal #2: Share my happiness with those around me. As I said in my last post, January was the very best month I have experienced (so far). So many wonderful things happened and I will always treasure the memories of them. I have never been as happy with my life and my future as I am now, and I want to share my happiness with everyone who comes into my life. To me, this means that I will do my very best to portray my joy with smiles, laughter, and thoughtful gestures. I will do my best to pass the happiness on to the next person and show everyone in my life just how much I appreciate them and what they have contributed to my wonderful situation.
The motivation and inspiration for these goals are my three Valentines: My husband is the most amazing man I have ever met.  I will never understand why he loves me as much as he does or why he puts up with me. But I will always appreciate him and everything he does for me and our boys. He is the best father my sons could ask for and I can’t wait to see them grow and learn from their daddy’s example.
My brilliant little man, Liam, who makes me laugh every single day and surprises me on a constant basis. He is an amazing dancer who loves to show his moves whenever the mood strikes. He is the best big brother that my little gummy bear could ask for, and he changed me in the very best ways possible. I can’t wait to see him grow and become whatever it is that he is destined to be.
And then there is my little Teddy Bear, Nolan, who stole my heart from the very first cry. He taught me that there is no end or limits to a mother’s love. Before he was born, I was so worried that I would not be able to care about him in the same way that I do Liam. But all the worrying was pointless. No matter how impossible it seems to love another child as much as your first, it just happens and it is fluid and flawless.
I know how lucky I am to be a part of my boys’ lives. They mean everything to me and make me want to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, and overall-person. Valentine’s Day is not about chocolate, flowers, and hearts……it is about love and remembering just how lucky you are to have found it. As I told my husband earlier this week, “I don’t need a thing for Valentine’s day. I know that I’m loved and that’s all that matters.”  Luckily my husband didn't listen, and I woke up to yummy truffles and a beautiful letter written by a man who refuses to by cards.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment